Oh my god there’s a hole in my deck! Part 2

I appreciate these posts are as dull as horseshit to some people, but there’s plenty of Halmatic owners out there who may one day face the same issues as I’m having, so I hope these posts will spare some pain.

So straight to it.IMG_20170330_132248

I filleted the edges with a mix of epoxy and west system 406 colloidal silica filler. I know you’re supposed to bevel the edges with a grinder normally, but because there’s a foam core you can’t really do that, in some videos people have cut a bit of foam core to size and popped it in and glass over it, I didn’t want to do this as I preferred to add more layers of biaxal cloth for additional strength.

 

IMG_20170331_165604After the edges had dried, I then alternated thick and thin layers of biaxal cloth, though I still need to add yet more to get the thickness of the deck up to where it was before. I’ve lost count with how many layers of cloth I’ve added, maybe 6.

 

The next job was to rip out the old backing pad, knee and a random piece of wood from inside the boat.

This is where I’m starting to find jobs I’ve paid people to do were in fact done to a substandard level. I haven’t had much luck with marine tradesmen so far, to be honest I’ve pretty much lost all faith. It’s easy to find someone and pay them to do a job you haven’t done before, or feel its a black art. But it’s only when you’ve spent your lunchtimes at work, watching countless youtube videos and learning say how to fibreglass, do you realise how much of a shitty job that guy you paid £300 did. From now on I’m going to do as much as possible myself.

Rant over.

I cut out a knee from solid oak (yes solid oak, this thing ain’t gonna be moving, ever!) and gave it a couple of layers of epoxy to seal the wood. The reason you do this is so when you apply your cloth and epoxy, the wood won’t suck all the epoxy out of the biaxal cloth and leave you with nothing.

 

Sunday morning I mixed up some epoxy and 406, and wedged the knee up against the hull and deck, and tabbed the edges. I stood there bent over for about 10-15 minutes I’d say, until it was clear it wasn’t going to move or sag. Unfortunately this came on YouTube, so I was forced to listen to this old fella as I couldn’t move until the knee had set. His voice still gives me nightmares!

Whilst this was drying I painted some lockers with danboline (I told you this was going to be a dull post).

Next week I’ll layer up the knee with cloth and epoxy, and then fit the backing pad.

Author: Tim Butler

Related Posts

No Comments

Leave a Reply