This year I redid the headlining in my forepeak

Ok so project creep! This job is taking forever but every step is a victory!

Last year I applied closed cell foam and beige carpet to my forepeak (bought from Hawkes House). Nice. Not nice in reality. After a while, the carpet has aquired a layer of furry mold, which my fragile little lungs should not really be subjected to in this modern age. Foam backed anti fungal vinyl would have been a much better option, as you can simply wipe it down from time to time.

I decided one Sunday afternoon, with no pre-thought, just to ripe the whole shebang out.

So ripped off the insulation and carpet, which came off fairly easily, I did use all manner of sanding instruments to get the rest of the insulation off, with wrecked quite a few sanding discs.

A previous owner had glassed in vertical battens, so horzontal planks could be screwed to them. I ripped them out and sanded them down. These came off pretty easily as they had been lightly glassed and sikaflexed in with the soft stuff. I wanted a uninterrupted smooth surface for the foam backed vinyl to be applied to.

IMG_20150516_124314

IMG_20150517_081624

On the underside of the roof (or whatever the technical term is for this) a long strip of wood had been secured on using very hard mastic that turned to what I can only describe as concrete. I had to use a combination of chisels, sanders and angle grinders to take it all off.

I then discovered my stanchions had no backing plates, or nuts to secure them in, they were just placed in, and somehow they’ve not leaked or moved since then!!!

After cleaning down the sides with acetone, I gave the sides two coats of bilge paint called International Danboline Locker and Bilge paint

IMG_20150610_203109

IMG_20150601_165506

IMG_20150601_165454

I then stuck the closed cell foam to the sides of the boat.

IMG_20150618_194508

IMG_20150618_194501

IMG_20150610_225504

IMG_20150516_124307

IMG_20150516_124258

IMG_20150516_124303

The next step was to cut out the foam backed vinyl and glue to the sides of the boat. This is a tricky and messy procedure but it doesn’t actually take that long.

Hawkes house have everything you need to do this. I bought a big big tin of glue, which has an expiry date be warned, and a big box of aersol spray.

IMG_20150618_193405

IMG_20150618_193221

IMG_20150608_153036

The process involves painting on a strip of glue

IMG_20150619_185044

IMG_20150619_185034

IMG_20150629_220919

Author: Tim Butler

Related Posts

No Comments

Leave a Reply