Today, no this year I/someone replaced the raw water pump on a Volvo D1-20

I’m not sure if there’s a technical term for when a small job turns into a massive saga, but I think it’s called something along the lines of ‘project creep’.

I noticed that my raw water pump was leaking, and looking pretty old. Removing a raw water pump on a Volvo D1-20 looks pretty straight forward.

There are 4 bolts holding it on. The NW and SW bolts on the pump are easy to remove, the NE and SE bolts face the other way, and are inserted from behind the pump. The NE bolt can only be removed from beind the pump, with little room this was a bugger to remove, but it is possible. The SE bolt though was inaccessible, so I took the drastic measure of lopping off the nut with an angle grinder, extreme measures I know.

unnamed (5)

I used a Irwin bolt grip extractor to undo one of the bolts, something I really recommend every sailor has on board 🙂

So with that done, I ordered a new water pump and new bolts (£474.05) from who are amazing! 1st class customer service, and cheaper that marine parts europe I discovered.


unnamed (3)

The pump arrived, and I needed to transfer a small gear from the old pump and slot it onto the shaft of the new one. Several thumps with a lump hammer on the pontoon and I gave up, it wasn’t shifting. The weeks were quickly passing at this point. I had a new gear delivered (£100.01) and the costs were mounting up.

Fixing the pump back on I thought would be a simple process. I’v got all the bolts and I’m ready to go, not so.

It’s possible to get all the bolts in, apart from that bottom right and bolt. I could have strangled the Volvo Penta designers! It was actually not possible to pull the old bolt out the back.

The only way to get the last bolt on and off, is to take the engine mount off.

I tried with my tools to get the engine mount off, but the bolts were slipping, and a bit rounded.

I called Mike and French Marine, a quite direct and straight to the point kind of guy. He reckoned I could do it myself, but with the rounded bolts, and the prospect of having to jack up the engine, I didn’t want to do any more damage.

The one problem with having a boat in the center of London, is that you’re not surrounded by marine mechanics.

A call out fee is not cheap, but I bit the bullet and Mike came down.

He had the engine jacked up, the engine mount off, and the new pump on, and all put back together again in an hour, possibly less. It was amazing to see how easy it was to take off old bolts with good quality sockets (that cost a fortune).

I would certainly recommend French Marine again, and I would also encourage anyone working on critical systems such as your raw water cooling, to do it where you have skilled laborers to hand!

The cost of replacing the water pump with parts………about £1200 🙁 Next time though, I’ll be able to do it myself (once I buy some snap-on sockets)

Author: Tim Butler

Related Posts

No Comments

Leave a Reply