Day 8 of Summer Trip 2014 – Carbon monoxide wakeup call

I awoke this morning at 6am in a daze of confusion. I climbed out of bed to turn off my alarm clock, half naked and half awake it finally dawned on me it was the carbon monoxide alarm going off and not my phone. Now I don’t advocate the following actions, but on reflection it’s pretty amusing, mostly because I’m not dead. I shook the carbon monoxide detector a few times, went outside, turned the gas off, left the main hatch open, took the carbon monoxide detector to bed and opened the hatch in the forepeak, then watched the digital read out slowly fall from ’40’ to ’15’ and then went back to sleep…I took the decrease in numbers as a good sign and not some kind of sadistic countdown to my inevitable doom.

I woke up again (thankfully), but this time at a more leisurely hour of 9am for warm weetabix with milk (the joys of not being able to use the fridge).

I had a go at servicing my main winch on my mast, but short of drilling the thing off the mast there’s no conceivable way of popping out the pin that holds the cogs in. The winch probably hasn’t been serviced since the boat was first launched back in 1987. The winch is used to raise the main sail from the mast and eventually I’ll have to replace the bloody thing.


Here comes a very dull but important job. I finally got round to giving the cockpit floor lid some attention. In the channel where the cockpit lid fits into is a small drain hole that feeds into a cockpit drain which I unblocked.


Still awake? Next job was to fit a new seal to make the floor water tight. It’s hard to imagine waves filling the cockpit whilst the boat is sitting out of the water on a hot sunny day, but it’s happened once in the past…so it’s important to ensure A) water in the cockpit can drain away as quickly as possible B) water in the cockpit exits the boat and not enter the boat. The last point is probably the most critical.

I waxed £40 on neoprene seals, yes £40 and I’ve just read on the site.

“The adhesive backing tape used is not fully resistant to water, therefore where there is a large amount of moisture or water present it is advisable to use plain expanded neoprene and a good contact adhesive, such as our order code A262.” bugger, it’ll have to do for now! Should have read the small print.

Here comes a dull link..


The last job of the day was having a water sender professionally installed on the water tank, which hooks up to a gauge so I can monitor how much water I have. The laws of average dictate that you will run out of water at the most inconvenient moment, when it’s raining, when you’re miles from a marina or when you’ve woken up with a hangover from hell, thus unable to make that crucial lifesaving cup of tea. I didn’t fancy drilling holes in the stainless steel tank myself as I was worried about contaminating the tanks. I had visions of some dark arts being employed to stop he shavings and bits falling into the tank and contaminating the water, this was not the case. A smear of grease was applied to the top of the tank and a circular drill piece was used to drill out a hole for the sender. The circular cut-out fell into the tank and luckily I had one of these flexible claw grips for the guy to fish it out with, incidentally this has now been used twice in a week, good purchase I’d say.


Anyway, the sender was popped in and 5 holes drilled into the top for the self tapping screws to fix it in. To be honest I could have done this myself, but I was concerned of getting bits in the water tank. It was a quick job and didn’t cost much to get done so all ends well.



I was also shown how to wire up RF connector, so now I have a emergency VHF aerial. Good times

Trip Stats
Miles: 0
Total Miles: 50
Groceries for lunch £5.04
Nando £9.95
Summer trip total expenditure £225.25


Author: Tim Butler

Related Posts

No Comments

Leave a Reply